‘Tis the Season for Sickness
Yes, it IS that time again! Just two weeks ago I had 5 clients in one week cancel their appointments because they had picked up flus and cold from their families over Thanksgiving. With that preface I also hope this post isn’t a little too late for you folks but we still have 2 weeks til Chirstmas and then another 3 months of winter after that so better late than never, right? Christmas time is THE HARDEST time to stay healthy! here’s why:
1) You are surrounded by junk food/sugar. Guess who else likes to feed off sugar? Viruses and bacteria (IE: Flu virus and bacterial colds). The more sugar you eat, the more your body becomes acidic and the happier those pesky little bugs are to set up shop in your system.
2) Stress! As much as we LOVE the holidays the traveling, the shopping, the cooking/baking as well as the family gatherings they are very taxing on the mind and body. Stress increases your chances of getting sick by decreasing your immune system. Do you live with or know any college students taking finals right now? I’d suggest staying away from them for a while 🙂 They’ll most likely be getting sick either during or right after finals week (I ALWAYS did. I have fond memories of suffering from fevers and colds in the BYU testing center).
3) It’s winter, it’s cold, and it’s also natural to become sluggish (to an extent). The body tends to slow down during the winter time. It goes into a modified hibernation mode because the days are shorter and much colder. No, we are not bears that find a hole and sleep in it for months on end but we sure wish we could some days. Am I right or am I right? Not only do our bodies sync with nature and want to “shut down” (every wonder why it’s harder to get up in the mornings or even exercise? Yes, that mother nature calling to your circadian rhythms. ) but our sluggish bodies cause us to want to eat sluggishly too. When tired we will reach for those sugary and starchy foods that give us the wonderful energy high followed by a horrible low and sometimes even a headache. So with these things in mind (and also because I’m currently nursing my BYU student back to health from a nasty cold and so we are going through this) I wanted to share with you all some wonderful NATURAL ways of taking care of your bodies and preventing yourself and your families from getting sick without having to get flu shots or take antibiotics. Mother Nature always intended to be useful, especially during the winter seasons. here are some wonderful tools EVERY HOUSEHOLD should hold on to during the winter time. You won’t regret it: 1) Garlic and Onion: The 2007 issue of Nutrition and Food Science states: “Both garlic and onions exert their effects on human health via multiple different functions, including antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties. The organosulphur compounds in these spices scavenge oxidizing agents, inhibit the oxidation of fatty acids, thereby preventing the formation of pro-inflammatory messengers, and inhibit bacterial growth, via interaction with sulphur-containing enzymes. ”
So eat your medicine. When sick, crush up a garlic clove and drink it down. Yes, you will smell like garlic but it’s benefits far out weight the one side effect (garlic breath). In the mean time, eat lots of onions and garlic in your soups and foods! 2)Tea Tree: Tee tree is an AMAZING antibacterial and antifungal! To prevent sickness, drink 3 drops a day in half a glass of water. When sick, drink 3 drops three times a day. 3) Vitamin C and Zinc: Vitamin C is crucial when it comes to any sickness! ALWAYS have a stash of vitamin C in the house. It’s an excellent antioxidant and detoxifier. Toxins attach to the vit C molecule and then get flushed out. When sick you can take up to 2000 ml per hour (yes, per hour) until you have a loose bowel movement. Don’t worry, vit C is water soluble which means you can NEVER overdose on it.
Zinc possess antioxidant properties, which may protect against accelerated aging of the skin and muscles of the body as well as to help speed up the healing process after an injury. A zinc deficiency may have effects on virtually all parts of the human immune system. Zinc helps stimulate the action of more than 100 enzymes, and helps to stimulate the sense of smell. Zinc lozenges tend to be an all time favorite for when people get sick. Make sure you always have a stash of this stuff in your house.
4) Sore Throat Reliever: Cecilia Salvesen’s sore throat reliever spray is the most potent and natural throat spray that will kill off any virus or bacterial bug plaguing your body. It’s a high-potency therapeutic blend that contains all of thestrongest aromatherapy oils needed to fight off any foreign agent invading your body. Carry this one in your purse!! When every you find you are around sick people because you couldn’t stay away, spray away!
5) Concentrace Mineral Drops: Due to all the holiday foods, your body is going to be very acidic. If you are having a hard time straying from the gingerbread men and holiday Hershey’s Kisses, then this one’s for you. The best policy would be to stay away from all the junk food but how many people ACTUALLY do that? Combat the sugar and dairy and wheat that’s feeding your lovely flu and bacterial bugs with the Concentrace Mineral Drops. Take this daily and it’ll help alkalize your body once again. We all want some sort of a fighting chance even when we do cheat, so do yourself a favor and keep this one handy! The mineral drops may taste bad but they are SUPER POTENT. No joke!
6)Green Pak: Eating waffles for breakfast, toasted cheeses and hot chocolate for lunch and then meatloaf at dinner is not an ideal health-filled picture. So now is the time to cheat and drink your veggies…but don’t look in your hot chocolate drink because you won’t find them there. Drink one Green Pak a day to add back the fruits and veggies you’ll be missing this holiday season. Sugar will actually leech minerals from your bones and tissues so try putting some back with these paks.
7) Protein: Make sure you are eating enough protein, folks! Protein will help curb your food cravings and can help slow down your need to insert that 4 cookie in your mouth. Protein also houses many amino acids that are crutial for building and repair, much of that repair being immune repair. Remember, your immune system is fighting a 24/7 battle and is on overdrive this holiday season. Give it some ammunition to keep up the battle and give it some protein. Good luck this holiday season, everyone. Remember, you CAN beat the cold and flu, you just need to have the right ammunition 🙂 Happy Holidays!